Nothing quite says fall to me like corduroy…so what better way to start off the season than with a pair of comfy corduroy pants for The Boy?
I turned once again to my tried n’ true kids pants pattern, the Parsley Pants from Made by Rae. I love this pattern because it fits well, is easy to make, and it’s so versatile. Although it’s advertised as a pattern for wovens, I have made many many pairs in knit fabrics – everything from interlock to jersey to sweatshirt fleece to polar fleece to french terry. But every once in a while I go back to wovens for this pattern – and I’m particularly fond of corduroy! I found this fabric at my local discount fabric shop – it’s a lighter weight corduroy that is really quite soft, so it’s just as comfortable as the knit pants I usually make for The Boy (who is extremely picky about such things I might add).
I had to try out all of the Parsley Pant options…and make my (growing) son a couple more pairs of comfy pants.
So, I made this pair out of french terry (love french terry!) with the tuxedo stripe option:
I call these ones the ‘retro red track pants’. When I first showed them to my husband, he said, “oh, just like The Royal Tenenbaums“. Huh. Hadn’t thought of that. Luckily, he’s a big fan of The Royal Tenenbaums, so I think it was a compliment:)
My son will only wear what he calls ‘comfy pants’. That basically means pull-on elastic waistband and soft knit material … so basically sweatpants. Most of the options available in stores are functional, but pretty boring. Mama’s sewing machine to the rescue! Having created a ‘collection’ of comfy pants I thought it was time I posted about them.
I started out using Dana’s free pants pattern and crafted this simple lightweight pair using a dark grey cotton knit. I used an old t-shirt for the green pockets.
Then I decided to make a pair with some navy blue stretch corduroy. Instead of the patch pockets, I went with jean-style pockets, which I lined with a blue and white polka dot fabric. I don’t remember where I found the tutorial for the pockets, but I do remember that it took me a few tries to get them done, and they still came out a bit wonky. Continue reading